Banana nice-cream is a simple, guilt-free treat that is completely raw, vegan and dairy-free, with no added sweeteners. Bananas and raw chocolate make the perfect pair as they are both natural energy-boosters. These plant-based ingredients create an “ice cream” that is light and refreshing, perfect for a hot summer day!
It is best to use ripe bananas for this recipe as they are easy to digest since most of the starch has been converted to sugar through the ripening process. The combination of natural sugars and fibre makes bananas an optimal choice for a sustained release of energy, even more so if eaten with some nuts - I’ve got you covered with the option to top your nice-cream with raw cashew pieces. Bananas help with a upset stomach as they contain fucto-oligo-saccharides (FOS) which help feed ‘good bacteria’ in the gut. They are also an excellent source of vitamin B6 and potassium, as well as tryptophan, which the body can convert to serotonin - a hormone that helps lift mood and promote sleep.*
Raw chocolate, or cacao, is chocolate in the most unrefined, raw form. You may be surprised to learn that cacao is created by fermenting cacao beans and then sun-drying them. Raw cacao is rich in magnesium which enhances energy levels and interestingly will also help with sleeping too. Cacao contains the highest source of antioxidants in the world and is exceptionally rich in: chromium, iron, theobromine, copper, vitamin C, omega-6 fatty acids, and natural phenylethylamine (PEA).**
This recipe features the Giddy YoYo Raw Heirloom Organic Vanilla Bean and Salt Chocolate Bar that was included in my lifestyle subscription box from Jule’s Wellness. To check out the full inspirational feature about the Jule’s Brands and to see all of the goodies that I received in my lifestyle box click here.
Ingredients (for about 2 servings)
4 ripe bananas
Raw chocolate sauce (recipe below)
Giddy YoYo Raw Heirloom Organic Vanilla Bean and Salt Chocolate Bar
Raw cashew pieces, optional
- Peel bananas and cut into coins. Place the bananas in to an airtight container and freeze for a couple of hours until frozen, or ideally, overnight.
- Place the frozen bananas into a food processor. Pulse until you create a crumble, stoping to scrape down the walls of the food processor as you go.
- Once you reach an even crumble, blend consistently and stop every so often to scrape down the sides to ensure that you have an even consistency. This will take a little patience, but eventually the mixture will reach a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
- Roughly chop a couple of squares of the Giddy YoYo Vanilla Bean and Salt Chocolate Bar and add to the food processor, pulsing a few times to evenly distribute.
- Depending on your preference, you can eat the nice-cream immediately as soft-serve, or, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid.
- Top with raw cashews and raw chocolate sauce (recipe below).
Note: I always use a food processor when making nice-cream, but it can also be made in a high speed blender, just be sure that your blender is powerful enough to handle processing frozen bananas.
Raw Chocolate Sauce
1 tbsp organic unrefined, virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1-2 tbsp lukewarm filtered water, or more if needed
3 dates, soaked for 10 minutes in lukewarm filtered water
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. It’s that simple, just make sure to remove the dates from the water they’ve soaked in before adding them to the blender!
Tip: If the sauce is too runny place in refrigerator to thicken; if the sauce is too thick add more lukewarm water and blend.
(Use organic ingredients)
To check out the Jule’s Wellness Inspirational Feature on LoveWildLiveFree.com click here.
This post was in collaboration with Jules Wellness. This is an unpaid endorsement and the products used in this post were kindly gifted for review and use in the development of this recipe. I only share products that I personally use and that are made with the highest integrity.
To work with Avra and Love Wild Live Free on collaborations, reviews and sponsored posts please get in touch on the Contact page!
* Savona, Natalie. Wonderfoods: The Best Nutrition and Recipes for Optimum Health. London: Quadrille Limited, 2006. Print.
** Milson, Shane T. "From the Cacao Tree to Your Mouth: The Wild Journey of Chocolate." The Raw Naked Truth. N.p., 19 Nov. 2014. Web. 22 Jan. 2015. <http://therawnakedtruth.me/from-the-cacao-tree-to-your-mouth-the-wild-journey-of-chocolate/>.